On the Issues
The following section lays out the concrete policies and laws that Jabari will help fight for when elected to the New York State Senate.
Decarcerate New York
We need to divest from our brutal and violent carceral system and turn toward restorative practices that actually reduce crime and promote public safety.
I’m a renter in the district and have spent years fighting for tenant protections.
I’m a public school teacher who sees firsthand how our state fails to provide adequate resources for our children, academically and emotionally.
I traveled to Standing Rock in 2016 to support the Water Protectors. I believe we need to act quickly to avoid climate catastrophe.
There is so much work to do to combat the overpolicing of black and brown residents of New York City.
Healthcare is a human right and insurance companies should not be profiting from sick people.
As a working-class candidate, I know how hard it is to run against the establishment. I will fight to democratize our election system by:
As a vegan and passionate champion for animal rights, I pledge to be a leader on animal protection as your State Senator. Despite our progressive stature, New York was recently ranked 32nd on a list of states with the strongest laws for animals. I believe that it’s well past time to bring New York to our rightful spot in the forefront of animal protection. I’ll sponsor or cosponsor legislation to:
- Ban the sale of new fur apparel
- Restrict the sale of cats, dogs and rabbits as commodities in pet stores
- Promote adoption of companion animals from local shelters and rescue groups
- Ensure that humane education is taught in schools as mandated
- Outlaw cruel animal farming practices, such as the castration of pigs, cows, and other mammals without painkillers, “debeaking” or “beak cutting” of chickens and turkeys without painkillers, confinement of egg-laying hens in battery cages, confinement of baby cows in veal crates, confinement of pigs in gestation crates, and boiling lobsters and other crustaceans while alive
- Permit only humane and non-lethal management of wildlife
- End the use of hatchery produced eggs in classroom incubation projects
- Ban on wildlife-killing contests
- Ban travelling rodeos from performing in New York
- Require restaurants to disclose the source of animals used in food production and their conditions
- Redirect dairy subsidies into a “just transition” program for farmers exiting the dairy industry.