As a vegan and passionate champion for animal rights, I pledge to be a leader on animal protection as your State Senator. Despite our progressive stature, New York was recently ranked 32nd on a list of states with the strongest laws for animals. I believe that it’s well past time to bring New York to our rightful spot in the forefront of animal protection. I’ll sponsor or cosponsor legislation to:
- Ban the sale of new fur apparel
- Restrict the sale of cats, dogs and rabbits as commodities in pet stores
- Promote adoption of companion animals from local shelters and rescue groups
- Ensure that humane education is taught in schools as mandated
- Outlaw cruel animal farming practices, such as the castration of pigs, cows, and other mammals without painkillers, “debeaking” or “beak cutting” of chickens and turkeys without painkillers, confinement of egg-laying hens in battery cages, confinement of baby cows in veal crates, confinement of pigs in gestation crates, and boiling lobsters and other crustaceans while alive
- Permit only humane and non-lethal management of wildlife
- End the use of hatchery produced eggs in classroom incubation projects
- Ban on wildlife-killing contests
- Ban travelling rodeos from performing in New York
- Require restaurants to disclose the source of animals used in food production and their conditions
- Redirect dairy subsidies into a “just transition” program for farmers exiting the dairy industry.
Jabari is rejecting ALL corporate donations and developer dollars. His campaign is sustained by grassroots donors like you.